Friday, October 25, 2013

India is not just Hindi



Two days ago I was talking with a few of my friends and they asked me if my mother tongue was Hindi. I told them that Hindi is not my mother tongue. They were confused and asked me that since I am from India, the language I speak should be Hindi. It was then I realized that most people think that Hindi is the language of India. I decided that I should explain to all about what India is. Hindi is the largest spoken language of India, but it is spoken by only 250 million people of the 1.2 billion people of India. There are other languages like Bengali, Marathi, Gujarathi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Urdu, Parsi, Punjabi, Assamese, Manipuri, Konkani, etc. There are 30 official languages but there are more than 1000 dialects. So for example if you move from one state to another you cannot expect people to speak the language you speak. It is like this you move from Virginia to West Virginia or North Carolina, people will be speaking different languages. The same way most people think that India is a Hindu country. Again this is totally wrong. India is predominantly a Hindu nation. But you still have a lot of Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, some local native religions, Jews, etc. So you meet a lot of people from other faith too. So, to give you an example, we had a Muslim President with a Sikh Prime Minister, a Christian Defense Minister in a nation of predominantly Hindus. The dance forms also vary from state to state as languages differ. So what is unifying India? To be frank there is no unifying or common thing in India other than the feeling of Indian among the people. This characteristic of India is unique. The thing that unified Germany was their race and language, the French their language, and each country has always had its own unifying feature except India.

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome that India is so diverse. I had no idea that it had so many different languages as well as accepted religions. It sucks that most people make those ignorant assumptions, but it's cool that you're able to enlighten them X)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow India is very diverse! That must make it hard to communicate to someone you don't know. I wonder why there isn't a single language that takes the overwhelming majority. I also wonder why English isn't big there. I know they were colonized by the British, so the British would have made them learn English right?

    ReplyDelete